global air travel

 There is currently an outbreak of measles ongoing in EUROPE.

If you are travelling to a destination(s) within Europe and have NOT had two doses of MMR vaccine whatever your age, please seek advice from your Practice Nurse.  There is further information on the link below:


If you require any vaccinations relating to foreign travel you need to fill in a travel assessment form. The nurse will then contact you to discuss what vaccines are needed after having done a travel assessment. The provision of travel vaccines in the NHS is changing and only certain vaccines are available. These are Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Cholera, Tetanus, Diptheria and Polio. Other vaccines need to be sourced via private health clinics. Please visit to see if you need any private vaccines.


There is further information about countries and vaccinations required on the links below

Europe Europe & Russia North America North America
Central America Central America South America & Antarctica South America & Antarctica
Caribbean Caribbean Africa Africa
Middle East Middle East Central Asia Central Asia
East Asia East Asia Australasia Australasia and Pacific


Travel Health Questionnaire

To help us offer the appropriate advice, please fill out the online form before coming to see the nurse.

Travel vaccines provision in the NHS is changing. Only certain vaccines are available. These are Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Cholera, Tetanus, Polio and Diptheria. Other travel vaccines need to be sourced privately via private travel clinics. To see what other vaccines you may need please visit or for the latest travel advice

clock2Travel Questionnaire

Travelling in Europe

If you are travelling to Europe the EU has published useful information for travellers on the European website.

Travelling with Medication

It is the patient’s responsibility to establish the rules for their destination, airline and any country they are travelling through. These may all be different!

Patients need to remember prescribed AND over-the-counter medications. (In some areas, common over-the-counter medications such as nasal decongestant inhalers (VICKS to you and I) and cough

linctus are banned.)

Patients should do this well in advance:

Local regulations (e.g. in Turkey, China and Singapore) may require them to get a licence for carriage of ANY personal medication.

They may need a doctor’s letter and to get this translated by an authorised body for any medication to be carried.

Controlled drugs

Even travelling within Europe may require some care if your patient is using controlled drugs:

Government advice is that a patient must be able to prove controlled medication belongs to them to travel into or out of the UK.

This requires a letter outlining use and countersigned by ‘the person who prescribed the drugs’.

If carrying more than 3 months’ supply, they will also need a Home Office licence:

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website